How to Use FirstSearch®
To search these databases:
GPO (Government Printing Office) Monthly Catalog (GPO)
International Proceedings (Proceedings First)
Table of Contents:
FirstSearch may be used to search for citations and abstracts of articles and other information in the indexes listed above. FirstSearch databases are accessible via the Internet from on- and off-campus. Off-Campus access requires UW-W login.
It is possible to use this database in either English, Spanish, French, Chinese or Japanese, although the resulting records appear in the original language of the article or other material. To change the appearance of the database after logging in, click on one of the languages at teh bottom of the screen
To login, begin on the Andersen Library Home Page. Click on the link for Find Articles & Databases FIX ME, then on the link for FirstSearch listed under Indexes & Databases by System, or select any FirstSearch database listed under Indexes & Databases in Alphabetical Order.
To logoff, click on the word Exit at the top or bottom of the screen. If the mouse or keyboard is not used within fifteen minutes, the user will be automatically logged off; a timer runs at the bottom of the display.
- After login on, if not already in the database(s) of choice:
- a. Either, click on List All Databases underneath the Home tab to view a list of available databases.
b. Or click on List Databases by Topic. To view a subject listing of databases select an option from the Topic Area menu.
- Select between one and three databases to search by checking the box preceding the database name and clicking on the Select button.
Three search types are available in each FirstSearch database: Basic, Advanced and Expert. The instructions in this guide refer primarily to the Basic Search, although aspects pertain to all three search types.
This is the default search type. To use this option, type a word, combination of words or phrases in the search box next to Search for and search by keyword, author or title.
The search display shows the database(s) selected for searching.
To search, type one or more terms into the Keyword, Author or Title box, then click on the Search button.
To conduct new search, click on the Searching tab, then on a search type.
Search Techniquescommon plurals (-s or -es), such as "sails", but not other forms such as "sailor" or "sailing" sail+ various forms of a word (minimum of three letters) e.g. sail, sails, sailor, sailing, etc. sail* various spellings of a word or to replace one internal character (wildcard) e.g. woman, women, womyn wom#n various spellings of a word or to replace (0-9) internal characters, depending on the number typed after the ? (wildcard) e.g. color and colour colo?1r words together consecutively (phrase) endangered w species or
"endangered species" consecutive words within 3 words of each other nursing w3 research more than one word, adjacent or not endangered and species synonyms or other related words england or britain or united kingdom one word but not another endangered not species multiple words; group terms in parentheses to specify the order in which they will be combined crim* and violen* and (juvenile+ or teen*) not urban
|To Find Records With:||Search For:|
Limits and Expanders
In most FirstSearch databases it is possible to limit a search by one or more criteria:
- document type (e.g., book, journal article)
- materials located in Andersen library
- subject headings
- Andersen Library materials
Some search options are available on the initial search screen. Others are available from the List of Records display by clicking on the Releted Subjects icon, the Related Authors icon or the Limit icon. To limit or expand the results:
- Either click in the box preceding the option;
- Select an option from the drop-down menu;
- Type a year or range if years in the box;
- Or click on the + button preceding the option then do action 1., 2. or 3. above.
- Click on the Search button to continue.
To view a list of all the searches performed during a search session and the number of results per search, click on the Searching tab, then Previous Searches.
Repeating a Search
- Click on a searching the Previous Search column or in the preceding checkbox in the Select Terms column, then click on Search/Combine. Alternately, click on the following results count in the Results column.
- Click on two or more searches in the Previous Search column or in the preceding checkbox(es) in the Select Terms column. Type new terms in the Search For: box if desired. Select a Boolean operator (and, or, not) from the Combine Using list. Select a new database to search from the In menu if desired. Click on Search/Combine.
To display the next or previous set of results, click on the next arrow or previous arrow at the top or bottom of the screen.
To jump to a record, type its number into the text box located between and at the top of the screen, and press Enter on the keyboard.
A record for an article accompanied by the library and book icon indicates that the item is available at the UW-Whitewater Andersen Library.
List of Records
The List of Records screen indicates the database searched, the search query and the total number of records retrieved, followed by list of brief records. The information contained in a brief record varies amongst the databases. A brief record for a magazine or journal article includes the: article title, author, source title, volume, issue, publication date. Click on the title of an item to look at the Detailed Record.
To see if the Library has an item in another index, database or in print, click on the Find It button. To return to the results list, click on List of Records underneath the tab bar.
- Mark records for printing, emailing or saving to a disk.
- Either click in the checkbox in front of each desired record to select it;
- Or click on the Mark All button at the bottom of the screen to mark all the records on one page of results.
- To erase marks from all marked items, click on the Clear Marks button.
Viewing Marked Records
- To view marked items, click on Results tab, then on Marked Records. Click on Detailed to view more information for each marked record.
Printing Displayed Brief or Detailed Records:
- Either click on the browser's Print icon, or click on File, then Print or Print Preview to display the Print window. Either accept All or click on Pages to specify a range of page numbers , then click on OK.
- Or click on the FirstSearch print icon at the top or bottom of the page. This will reformat the screen to show only the records. Then, use the browser's print function as described above. When finished, click on the return icon.
Printing Marked Records:
- Click on Resultstab, then on Marked Records, then follow above instructions.
E-mailing Displayed Brief or Detailed Records:
- Click on the FirstSearch e-mail icon at the top or bottom of the page. Select options for record detail and format. Type a complete e-mail address (e.g. email@example.com) in the box beside To e-mail Address. Click on the Send button.
E-mailing Marked Records:
- To email marked records, lick on Results tab, then on Marked Records, then follow above instructions.
Saving Results to a Disk
Click on Export. Select type of Export and then click on Export.
If the desired item is a book, dissertation or government document, search for it by title in the Andersen Library Catalog. For additional assistance with locating books, see the How to Find Books guide.
If the desired item is an article from a journal, magazine or newspaper, use the Find It button to search for the full text of the article. For additional assistance with locating periodicals, see the guide.Top of Page
For help within FirstSearch, click on the help icon at the top or bottom of the screen.